Monday, March 17, 2014
A few years back, Ballistic introduced one the first widely available light weight lithium batteries to the motorcycle aftermarket industry. Performance motorcycle enthusiasts no longer had to drag around heavy lead acid batteries and could upgrade to a ballistic battery to save, up to 9lbs in some cases, some serious weight. The Evo2, as they were called, were designed to be as light and compact as possible but they lacked OEM sizing; so, once installed, there was a large amount of unused space in the battery compartment. For most racers and performance junkies, this wasn't a big deal because lithium batteries wouldn't spill and could be used on the their sides or even upside down.
Like many new technologies, the early adopters understood the potential challenges and could live with any early issues (that have since been ironed out). Current Evo2 batteries now have a balance charging port that allows each individual lithium cell to be charged to full potential. We found this is the best way to charge a lithium battery, although they don't need to be charged often under normal usage conditions.
Now, in 2014, Ballistic has gone back to the drawing board and developed a new Evo3 battery that is designed to fit securely in your stock motorcycle battery box without modification. Essentially, it will drop in and now should provide the ease of use a traditional battery with the weight savings and longevity of a lithium battery (often lasting multiple times longer than a traditional lead acid).
Ballistic Battery Features:
* Up to 80% smaller compared to your stock battery
* Up to 10lbs lighter compared to your stock battery
* The service life of a ballistic battery is double compared to a lead acid battery operated in similar conditions
* Comes with an industry leading 3 year warranty
* Have been designed, developed, and assembled in the USA
* Comes with hard mounted terminals of brass for a direct replacement installation
* Use of absolutely dry technology to enable mounting of batteries in any direction
* The product is non-toxic, recyclable, and can air shipped
* The product is for use in powersports vehicles from 50cc - 1800cc
* Batteries are tested extensively by professional race teams
* Impact and water resistant
* No requirement of special charger
* The batteries lose only 10% charger over a year of static use, hence there is no requirement for trickle charger
You can order Ballistic Batteries here: